As I am sure that most have you have heard, the greatly talented and handsome, Edward Herrmann, has passed away this week. With my current marathon of the Gilmore Girls in the works thanks to Netflix, (Herrmann played the beloved grandfather, Richard Gilmore, on the show) it is just heartbreaking to watch such a talented man and know that he was taken too soon.
The 6’-5” actor had been diagnosed with brain cancer and was in intensive care in New York before his death on Wednesday, at the age of 71.
Lauren Graham, who played Herrmann’s on-screen daughter Lorelai Gilmore during the show’s seven series, remembered the actor as the “kindest, classiest, most talented man” and said it was a “devastating blow to lose him”.
So in honor of Mr. Hermann and the tradition of consuming extra comfort food in a time of mourning, here is a recipe that is simple, delicious, and easily consumable while curled up on the couch watching 7 hours of the Gilmores. Plus it’s vegan!
Ingredients to pick up from Doose’s Market:
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. granulated sugar (you can add 1 tbsp. more if you like it a bit
⅛ tsp. salt
¼ cup + 1 tbsp. almond milk
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. peanut butter
- In a measuring cup or bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt
- Now stir in the milk and oil until all of the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into your Yale coffee mug, but remember to leave a little head room for the cake to rise
- Plop a dollop of peanut butter in the middle of the batter.
- Microwave your petite cake for 2 minutes
- remove and enjoy with your coffee IV!