Yesterday was heaven. It was overcast. Rainy. Windy. High of 68*. I was even able to pull out the space heater. A dangerous contraption, because once I plop myself in front of it, I don’t move for the next 6 hours..even if my skin starts turning red and blistering, I don’t care, I love it.
Since it was perfect weather for a Tim Burton movie to take place in, I needed something more hearty than baked tofu and steamed broccoli for dinner. In my search of “clean eating” I found an amazing idea (it’s old) for doing zucchini lasagna. Replacing the noodles with slices of zucchini. Most of these recipes call for turkey,
lame but I just used crumbled tofu in replacement. I mix it with cumin, salt, and pepper to taste to add a more “chili” taste.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 package extra firm tofu, crumbled and mixed with salt, pepper, and cumin to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 garlic cloves minced ( I love me some garlic!)
- 3 or 4 small zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 16 oz of fat free cottage cheese
- 1 jar of no sugar added spaghetti sauce
- Low fat mozzarella cheese
this took a little time for me, since I am now super paranoid about losing a digit..again
heart healthy and Vlad approved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine onion, tofu mixture, salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced garlic in a skillet and cook for about 10 minutes till golden brown.
- Layer zucchini in the bottom of your pan, then spread a layer of cottage cheese, follow that with a layer of tofu mixture, spread a layer of sauce on top.
- Repeat this over again. Then layer one final row of zucchini on top and cover with sauce and a little sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for an 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for 10 more minutes then remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
Now don’t be shocked when you see that it is runny. It is just the water from the zucchini and the cottage cheese sneaking out for a peak at your gorgeous face. You can use a slotted spoon or just treat it like soup AND lasagna. BAM BAM!! Now it is time for me to finish off the night by working’ on my night cheese!