I have always wanted to try and make this since I first saw my friend try and go off the grid and make everything herself. Well, three years later I finally made it!
This was super easy and ridiculously cheap!
1 bar of soap, I used Ivory
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda (I couldn’t find any, so I made my own by baking baking soda for 30 minutes at 400*)
2 gallons of water, divided
a large saucepan (8 cups or larger)
large bucket or container with lid
liquid storage containers for finished product, old detergent bottles are great
1. Grate the bar of soap
2. Cover shavings with 4 cups of water and heat on low, stirring often, until soap has melted.
3. Remove from heat. Add the borax and washing soda and stir in another 4 cups of water. Mixture will resemble pudding.
4. Pour mixture into a container with a lid and add another 24 cups and stir well.
5. Let mixture set overnight.
6. The next day, the congealed soap will have settled to the top. Stir it back in so everything is mixed well.