Only one more day till the Kentucky Derby! I hope that everyone has their hats ready, their bets placed, and a nice plate to hold these delicious Derby inspired cupcakes for the party! In the spirit of the derby, I will be eating Mint Julep Cupcakes and wishing I had a hat as cool as Holly Madison’s from a couple years back.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
Bourbon Butter Sauce:
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons Bourbon whiskey
Mint Julep Frosting:
- 8 oz whipped cream cheese
- 4 oz butter
- 12 oz powdered sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Crème de Menthe
Instructions For Cupcake Frosting:
1. Mix all frosting ingredients together in a large bowl until completely incorporated.
2. Refrigerate for twenty to forty minutes, then pipe onto cupcakes once the base is completely cooled and garnish with a fresh sprig of mint.
Instructions for Cupcake Batter:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
2. In a separate smaller bowl, combine buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract, and eggs.
3. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then increase to medium speed for 3 more minutes.
4. Pour mixture into muffin or cupcake pan pre-lined with cupcake liners.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Ten minutes before cupcakes are done, prepare Bourbon Butter Sauce.
Instructions for Bourbon Butter Sauce:
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1/3 cup butter, and 3 tablespoons water.
2. Stir until melted and combined. Do not boil. Remove from heat, continuing to stir for 2 minutes. Then stir in Bourbon.
3. When cupcakes are done and still warm from the oven, use a skewer to poke holes around the top of the cake. Pour Bourbon butter sauce evenly over the top of the cupcakes. Let cake cool to room temperature in the pan before removing.
4. Frost with mint julep frosting once cupcakes are completely cooled, and garnish each with a sprig of mint.